The Technical Director’s role is to oversee all technical aspects of the rubber compounding business in all AirBoss Rubber Solutions (ARS) locations. The role will ensure that Airboss is at state of art and science. It includes the responsibility for directing new product development activities from inception to product launch including compound development, processing and gaining customer acceptance. The Director will motivate and direct the technical and development teams for all ARS locations to achieve high levels of success.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Analyze technology, resource needs, and market demand, to plan and assess the feasibility of projects.
- Identify new markets, applications and materials of interest in co-operation with the Sales Team.
- Work with Rubber Compounders to develop and implement innovative process and formulation improvements and solutions to maintain, esp. improve, quality consistency while reduce costs to meet customer needs and/or enhance our market position.
- Manage R&D projects ensuring all aspects such as prioritization, planning, budgeting, communication, validation (internal & external), are completed.
- Provide RFQ focus and emphasis on speed to market (eg. Streamline product development).
- Provide guidance on the development and industrialization of customer recipes. Monitor the processing capability of issued recipes, providing technical support to production when necessary.
- Make Technical Sales calls on selected customers as required by the sales force.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Provide support, direction, guidance and problem solving assistance to Chemists and Technical Sales Representatives.
- Establish and maintain budgets, targets and objectives for Technical group and participate in capital expenditure projects.
- Guide the R&D team to develop recipes that will support business growth in those identified markets and applications.
- Is a safety advocate; leads by example by complying, communicating and coaching all direct reports to ensure compliance with all plant and Occupational Health and Safety policies.
- Performs all duties of a manager as outlined in the Internal Responsibilities section of the AirBoss Health & Safety program manual.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant ISO procedures.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- PHD in Polymer Science or Chemistry
- Minimum ten years relevant industry experience and experience working at a level with similar responsibilities
- Strong time management skills
- Customer-focused attitude
- Excellent leadership skills and management skills
- Strong interpersonal, presentation, verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent planning and organizational, decision making, project management and problem solving skills
Interested candidates should send their resume with a cover letter to Morris Eddy, MEddy@airboss.ca
AirBoss is an equal opportunity employer and does not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, marital status or parental status.